sabato 25 luglio 2009

Oracle 10g TNSListener error 3 ....

I faced with this error for one entire day: it became my nightmare! Basically the service OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener (running the oracle listener....uh really?) refused to start on my development box based on win xp. To be precise, the sw platform is:
Windows XP sp3
Oracle 10g 10.0.20
Since I found the solution (yes sometimes it happens!) here it is:

Symptom: TNS Listener service does not start giving error 3. Looking at TNSListener service properties, the executable path field is empty.

Cause: In my case the problem was generated by one of those (in)famous registry cleaners who removed some Oracle entries.

Solution: Insert the proper executable path (this should be done through regedit, it's very easy: in My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener add a string key ImagePath with value %ORACLE_HOME\BIN\TNSLSNR or wherever TNSLSNR.exe is).

At this point, if you have the same pattern I had, TNSListener won't start, giving a new error, with code 1053. Well, googling around I couldn't find a satisfying explanation about how and where this error is generated. Fortunately I remembered that few days before I ran one of those registry cleaning tools, which happily told me "hey I just removed 6MB of waste from you regedit". Unfortunately there were many entries related to ORacle. Readding these entries took my TNSListener service back to work. In case it might help, I post here the entries I needed to readd to registry.




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento