mercoledì 15 luglio 2009

watching english speaking tv abroad

Hi Folks,
probably many of you non native english speakers, would like to improve your own english knowledge as I do.
Many televisions stream their channels through the web. My favourite ones are: ABC and BBC . Unfortunately these channels do not broadcast outside their own countries (probably it's due to copyright restrictions). The restriction is based on ip-geolocation technologies. The funny thing is the amount of errors this approach generates. Infact, you can reside in the us or uk, but if your provider does some strange sort of routing, you might be banned too. There are blog posts saying it was impossible to reach bbc iPlayer website from the starbucks underneath bcc building in london!
Well since in this period I'm living in ITaly, I started looking for a solution. Among many P2P tv streaming softwares, like Sopcast, Joost, TVU Player, I was able to find tons of english based channels but most of them are crappy (advertisement channels or really boring monothematic ones).
At this time, the only working solution I have found is UKTelly. I did not study the technology behind it, but it appears like a uk based proxy. In this way you can watch BBC ITV and so on. All this c omes at a price: 149€ per year and I'm very doubtful about its legality (an aspect I'm very concerned about, especially when I pay!).
So, my final question is: did anybody find a better solution?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento